Forest Lawn Memorial Park
Forest lawn has two magnificent Gothic style buildings that were constructed during the early years of the cemetery. Both buildings were designed by Monroe Walker Copper, Jr. of the firm Dunn and Copper from Cleveland.
On the grounds of Forest Lawn Memorial Park there are buildings and multiple architectural structures known as "features". There were two periods of construction. The earliest were built in the early years of the cemetery - 1930's followed by another period of construction in the 1950's. Most of the structures have survived with the exception of the water features.
The Garden of Apostles
The Garden of Gethsemane
The Market Street Entrance was the first to be constructed around 1930. The random slate roof and Mount Plsbia stone gives the appearance of great age. Felix Pesa Associates of Youngstown were the project's stone masons. Four small arches stand between the large double gateway arches. Behind the four arches was a small pool and fountain, stone walkway and benches. Today the pool no longer exists and has been converted into a garden area. The large double gateway arches marked the roads leading into and out of the cemetery via a parallel grand boulevard known as the Boulevard of Remembrance. In 2014 extensive renovation work was performed on the entrance. The stone work was re-pointed, electric reconnected and the original iron chandelier restored, rewired and lighted.
Construction began on the Forest Lawn Chapel in May 1935. Originally known as "Little Church" at Forest Lawn it was completed and dedicated on Memorial Day, 1936 as a non-sectarian chapel at a cost of over $100,000. The chapel was constructed by Hadlock Krill and Company. “The exterior walls will be of warm yet colorful stone, with a heavy roof of thatched stone slate to blend. The front entrance porch patterned after the south porch of the old church at Castlecombe, Wiltshire, England built in the 12th century.” A rose window graces the east wall of the chapel over the front porch entrance. Copper described it as a, “replica of the one in the famous Rhelms Cathedral, France.” An impressive tall slender Norman spire rises high above the outside northwest corner of the chapel.
The design of the nave was copied from a little church at Iffley, Oxfordshire, England built by the Norman Invaders in the latter part of the 11th century. The interior of the chapel walls are finished in art plaster with stone trim.
The Bird House
The Shelter House
The Good Shepard
The Flag Pole
The late years of the depression and war years slowed the development of the cemetery. The 1950's brought on a strong post-war economy. Money was once again available and construction resumed on the construction new features to add points of interest and beautify the grounds. Pictured below are the features that were built during this period.
Most of the original features from the 1930's features survive today with the exception of the fountain on the boulevard across from the Chapel's front entrance.The fountain was removed sometime in the early 1990's when it became too expensive to repair. Monroe Walker Copper designed many of the original features. The old lead Cistern/Zodiac was purchased in England. Below are pictures and information on the features.
The Entrance Sign
The Open Bible
The Sun Dial (Restored)
The Garden of Devotion
Oak timbers with carved hammer beams support the ceiling. The chancel area is of carved wood and includes a pulpit copied after an original used in a 15th century little parish church at Parton, Kircudbrightshire, England. The original is now in the National Museum of Antiquities at Edinburg, Scotland. On it is carved the date it was built, 1598. Use of Iron work was a hallmark of the architect. Note the use of iron scones, chandeliers, lanterns, hardware, chancery screen, sun dial, gutters and steeple decoration throughout the interior and exterior of the chapel. The use of iron also appears on many of the early features of the1930's (below).
A left wing, similar to a chancery chapel, was originally designed for family privacy during a committal or funeral service. The wing is separated from the nave of the chapel by detailed iron-work. In recent years, drapery and a glass partition has been added so this area can be used for administrative purposes. This provides a space where persons with mobility issues have access to the cemetery offices.
Forest Lawn Chapel
Market Street Entrance